By Vicki Martinka Petersen, well being enews
A information service from AdvocateAurora Well being
In case you’ve been laying aside getting your mammogram as a result of the breast compression may be uncomfortable, worry not. With a bit little bit of preparation, you’ll be able to decrease the ache you expertise throughout your subsequent mammogram.
Mammograms are some of the necessary checks for detecting breast most cancers. The screenings might help specialists spot breast most cancers early when it’s sometimes most treatable.
Ladies ought to talk about their danger for breast most cancers with their clinician beginning at 30 years previous and talk about mammography screenings beginning at 40 years previous. Having a household historical past of breast most cancers or a genetic mutation identified to extend most cancers danger, such because the BRCA gene, can impression when your clinician recommends mammogram screenings.
For a lot of ladies, the worry of mammograms being uncomfortable and painful retains them from getting this necessary screening.
“The compression, or ‘squishing,’ of the breast helps us get a extra correct picture so we are able to get a transparent view and decrease the possibility you’ll want further imaging on account of blurry pictures,” says Dr. Gale England, a breast surgeon at Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital in Downers Grove, Ailing.
As you put together for a mammogram, listed below are some suggestions to assist decrease ache:
- Keep away from scheduling your mammogram round instances when your breasts could also be tender, such because the week main as much as your interval
- Restrict your salt and caffeine consumption, which might make your breasts extra tender
- Apply calming strategies, reminiscent of taking deep breaths or visualizing a peaceable atmosphere
- Request gradual compression, which can be simpler to tolerate than all-at-once compression
- Take an over-the-counter ache reliever as much as 60 minutes earlier than your mammogram
“Bear in mind, the compression lasts just a few minutes. You’ll want to let your technologist know if you happen to’re in ache. They could have the ability to regulate the compression,” says Dr. England.
This text initially appeared on well being enews.