By Hannah Koerner, well being enews
A information service from Advocate Well being Care® and Aurora Well being Care®
The colour pink and the recognition of the Barbie film have taken over popular culture and social media. And now the ‘Barbie toes’ problem has turn into viral on TikTok. It is a development the place customers recreate the film scene of Barbie stepping out of her pink excessive heels, revealing her famed arched toes whereas standing on tiptoes.
Though, regardless of the recognition and trend enchantment of excessive heels, carrying them will not be in one of the best curiosity of your foot well being.
“Ft are the bottom of our our bodies and excessive heels add plenty of strain to the foot,” says Dr. Jesika Weigel, podiatrist at Aurora Well being Heart in Sheboygan, Wis. “The bones and joints in each the toes and the ball of the foot tackle most of that added stress.”
The angle of excessive heels places the foot in an unnatural place. This added strain, particularly frequently, can have an effect on the entire physique and lead most notably to foot ache. Furthermore, it will probably result in ankle sprains, muscle strains, stress fractures, and ligament or tendon tears that may have a long-term impact in your well being.
“Sporting excessive heels may cause a pulling of the ligaments and tendons that help the arch,” explains Dr. Weigel. “Together with ache, it will probably trigger plantar fasciitis, or irritation of heel tissue, and different foot circumstances.”
Many excessive heels usually have pointed toes as properly. Dr. Weigel shares that this irregular toe place over time may cause points like calluses, blisters, ingrown toenails, bunions and hammertoes.
Whereas not everybody could possibly cease carrying excessive heels totally, there are some steps you may take to mitigate the consequences in your toes.
Dr. Weigel presents these tricks to lower foot ache:
- Save them for particular occasions: Cut back your time in excessive heels and put on them just for particular events. Should you’re touring to the event, put on a special pair of footwear on the way in which to the large occasion and slip your heels on once you get there.
- Take a look at completely different heel sizes: Decrease heels place much less strain on the foot and may also help give your foot a break.
- Match issues: Sporting heels that accurately match can scale back ache, blisters and different points. Selecting heels which have a wider toe additionally give your toes extra space.
- Change it up: Swap out your footwear sometimes so your toes and toes don’t get conformed to 1 shoe fashion.
- Various choices: There are different shoe choices which might be extra snug and might provide the look you’re going for, like flats or sandals.